The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 6, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #88,486 of 89,555
Listening to the loan unit of Verdandi and it’s going to be tough to send this back so may have to convert to a ‘buy’. I have it paired with a Dr Juggles copper cable on loan from @armstrj2 as he’s on a mission to convert me to the expense of cable rolling, he might succeed… an absolute joy to listen, especially with my 1AM2.

IMG_3562.jpeg
Looking forward to hearing your impressions

May 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #88,487 of 89,555
Hey guys, I've just published my review of the unexpectedly brilliant Questyle CMA18 Portable.
If you're interested in reading up on what I consider one of the frontrunners for portable product of the year, you'll find the full review here. Enjoy!

Do I understand correctly that the CMA18 is technically better than the TOTL DAPs you tested?!

Oh, great test as always. Your way of expressing yourself and analytical view are particularly successful.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #88,488 of 89,555
Do I understand correctly that the CMA18 is technically better than the TOTL DAPs you tested?!

Oh, great test as always. Your way of expressing yourself and analytical view are particularly successful.
Thank you kindly, and I'd say it's at the very least equal to the R8 II and WM1Z in terms of technical performance (stage, resolution, imaging, separation). It's also got a darker background in my opinion, which makes these metrics easier to pick out.

I'd love to get more feedback from others who have heard it with their own IEMs and music.

May 6, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #88,489 of 89,555
Thank you kindly, and I'd say it's at the very least equal to the R8 II and WM1Z in terms of technical performance (stage, resolution, imaging, separation). It's also got a darker background in my opinion, which makes these metrics easier to pick out.

I'd love to get more feedback from others who have heard it with their own IEMs and music.

Loved the review also. I’m not surprised you were impressed with it though.

I’ve also got the CMA18P and I really enjoy it. I bought completely blind as I knew how excellent Questyle stuff is and I knew it would be worth having around. Also, shelled out for the official case.

I’ll most likely comment further about what I like specifically about the device soon; but I have to admit I’m finding I’m reaching for my Sony DAPs a bit more the last couple of weeks purely for the convenience. I don’t find the Questyle very ‘pocket-able’ with the need for additional cables (vs straight DAP). Being able to connect via Bluetooth though is handy.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #88,490 of 89,555

I’ve also got the CMA18P and I really enjoy it. I bought completely blind as I knew how excellent Questyle stuff is and I knew it would be worth having around. Also, shelled out for the official case.

I’ll most likely comment further about what I like specifically about the device soon; but I have to admit I’m finding I’m reaching for my Sony DAPs a bit more the last couple of weeks purely for the convenience. I don’t find the Questyle very ‘pocket-able’ with the need for additional cables (vs straight DAP). Being able to connect via Bluetooth though is handy.
Yes I agree, the only 'downside' is use case. As you say LDAC is handy, but you always want to maximise quality which means USB-C. If only there were DAPs with the same SQ...if there are they cost north of $3000.

May 6, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #88,492 of 89,555

The ldac/aptx hd quality is beyond good enough for me, although the jump in quality to usb-c is noticable. I prefer using my phone, while switching to my laptop when needed, as my main media machine.

May 6, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #88,493 of 89,555
Raphael, what is it like in terms of transport comfort?
Solid light cable slightly on the stiff side, but I prefer it to more expensive cables that are giant ropes lol

May 6, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #88,494 of 89,555
Personally, I don’t care how good a cable is if it is weighing down my ears it’s a no go for me

May 6, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #88,495 of 89,555
Hey guys, I've just published my review of the unexpectedly brilliant Questyle CMA18 Portable.
If you're interested in reading up on what I consider one of the frontrunners for portable product of the year, you'll find the full review here. Enjoy!

cover1.jpg
Just noticed it's $699 now at retailers and direct from CMA.

May 7, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #88,496 of 89,555

That's quite a statement, thank you!

I'm quite curious now and will test it when I find it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #88,498 of 89,555
Fit is also disaster for me, only tips which work are spinfits and finals, other either cause pain or cannot fit at all. Customs are probably solution but I see a waiting time of many months for some people

I struggled with fit (comfortability, not seal) until I went with the trusty old Dunu S&S. I had to go a size larger (I think M, I'm 6ft7 and initially assumed Id be an XL, but it turns out that lugholes are not proportianate to body size... I use S or MS). I was actually about to sell them until I worked this out. They're still not the most comfortable & if these Canpur can do the job without the fit issues... that's maybe the way to go.

I'll say this again because I don't think people took notice. And this comes from a snob with five pairs of 1300-3500 IEM's) and had nothing else... and dismissed anything cheaper.

I bought the Thieaudio Hype 4 essentially as 'beaters' because I almost lost a more expensive IEM when I was out a couple of months back.

They are really bloody good for dnb & I use them more than *anything* for DNB - they don't have that seismic feeling like Fatfreq's do (especially the Scarlett & Mini - SE also to an extent) - which is cool, but not for lengthy sessions. The bass is great out of the box (heavier than the Maestro SE out of the box!), but when I use the Mojo 2 DSP, I push the bass up and they do become basshead level - but very smooth & non fatiguing (obviously if you max the bass out - which you can & they still sound great - they become quite fatiguing, but not a patch on anything Fatfreq).

The new BA's Thieaudio are using are really bloody good (they claim they're getting close to EST levels - I wouldn't go that far, but they're certainly in that direction in certain regards - the regards which matter for dnb or any two dimensionally produce electronic club music) & that double DD is proper. I am Mr EST/imaging/spatial audio, but the way dnb is made - this doesn't really make a positive difference.

May 7, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #88,499 of 89,555
My genres of choice for clubbing / party’s etc back in the early 90s to early 2000s (when I hung up my Puma and went a bit more part time 😂 ) were mostly techno, house (acid, Chicago etc), and trance, for the latter more so early 90s. For whatever reason, I tended to choose dnb more for relaxing/after clubbing etc which I guess is why leaned more towards the chilled variety… and indeed similarities to IDM but less complex. That said, I loved plenty of more energetic stuff too but bought less overall… incredibly fond memories of Skanna in the early 90s and discovered this courtesy of the spectacular ‘Hard Leaders 4 ‘Into the Jungle’ from 1993 - incredibly talented producer who also released house/trance under the alias Quivver.

Also, here is where the inspiration / samples for ‘Horizons’ came from, an ambient techno / IDM gem from Lemon Sol - fantastic album.

Just noted I uploaded this track to YouTube 15 years ago, that time has flown…

I actually didn't know Skanna was Quivver. I liked some of the Quivver stuff as well, I don't remember what little I heard being trance; I really do not like trance unless we go way back & can call Xpander by Sasha trance.

I'll check that old Lemon Sol album out. For dnb 1994 - 2007, I am encyclopedic, but I missed out on a lot of related stuff as I was 'jungle dnb or diiieeee' for a large part of that period 😅

May 7, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #88,500 of 89,555
I actually didn't know Skanna was Quivver. I liked some of the Quivver stuff as well, I don't remember what little I heard being trance; I really do not like trance unless we go way back & can call Xpander by Sasha trance.

I'll check that old Lemon Sol album out. For dnb 1994 - 2007, I am encyclopedic, but I missed out on a lot of related stuff as I was 'jungle dnb or diiieeee' for a large part of that period 😅

Yeah actually progressive house is a more appropriate tag - I’d say his biggest hit as Quivver was ‘Twist & Shout’ from the Renaissance 2 mix. My love for trance was very much early 90s and mostly acid trance… rarely listen to anything with more than 125bpm these days though 😂

Given my dnb focus was mostly 90s, I must get you to recommend some albums from 2000 onwards. There are certainly a few in my collection, I’ve bought most from Calibre for example but sparse otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back