Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #150,753 of 152,338
All things are relative and ad hominem attacks are not welcome here, I will just say the amp weighs a lot and the nearby air becomes quite hot.🤪

I see what you did there. 🤣

Oh I just received a Vali 3 as well as a GE 5 star 5670 from 1958. First the stock tube for a few hours, then the GE. Source is just a Pono player for now into Focal Utopia headphones. By first take this is going to be a fun little amp!
Pretty much everything that was made in 1958 is awesome, I guess even including GE tubes. 🤣🤣

May 6, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #150,754 of 152,338
Me thinks it's puurty!
I did try to spruce it up a bit with tiger maple and white walnut.🤪 Otherwise it is mostly black metal.

May 6, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #150,755 of 152,338
A bit early, but I may be away from the computer tonight as I'm not feeling tip-top today. I may have over Cinco de Mayo'ed yesterday. :D

Here's tonight's Jazz recommendation. So many good ones from this artist that it was hard to pick just one. This one is probably not a very well know album, but it is a favorite of mine. Enjoy.

JazzReco-9.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #150,756 of 152,338
A bit early, but I may be away from the computer tonight as I'm not feeling tip-top today. I may have over Cinco de Mayo'ed a bit yesterday. :D

Here's tonight's Jazz recommendation. So many good ones from this artist that it was hard to pick just one. This one is probably not a very well know album, but it is a favorite of mine. Enjoy.

JazzReco-9.jpg
Drink lots of water. Stay hydrated. I have to force myself, but I haven't had a hangover in years.

May 6, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #150,757 of 152,338
Thanks. Gatorade Zero has been my friend. :wink:

May 6, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #150,758 of 152,338
Oddly enough, no. He kept joking about the tubes I used so I named it after him. I designed it with components handed to me in a bucket, in order to win a bet and it had Russian WW 2 tubes.😉 After winning the bet I upgraded many components.
The amp itself is butt ugly, but looks was not part of the original criteria.😁IMG_3377.jpeg
Looks pretty aesthetically pleasing compared to my creations

May 6, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #150,759 of 152,338
I see what you did there. 🤣

Pretty much everything that was made in 1958 is awesome, I guess even including GE tubes. 🤣🤣

Hmmmm...probably missed it earlier in the thread but let me guess -- you we're born in 1958. :wink:

May 6, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #150,760 of 152,338
May 6, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #150,761 of 152,338
Speaking of Yggdrasil(s)...

MiB:
I'm up in the office today, and it's Monday and I'm working and listening to Qobuz -> Yggy+ MiB -> MJ3 -> stereo OG Aegir w/the DALI Oberon On-walls. Up here, Yggy MiB sounds very, very similar to the OG A2 that occupied its rack space last week. If anything is different, MiB delivers a slightly more open top end in this system. Granted my office is much more "live" than the carefully damped main listening space downstairs, but the incredibly low distortion of the TI DAC11001B chips is quite "clear", esp. with the DALIs. These speakers hit well above their weight, but are slightly reticent in their top end presentation. MiB opens up their treble presentation, starting at the upper mid-range and proceeding to the ends of audibility. Both MiB (and me!) seem really happy with this setup!

OG A2: I might be crazy, but... OG A2 does things in the lowest frequency ranges that simply blow my mind. Yes - QG's younger brother MiB also delivers time-and-frequency accurate and super clear low bass. But OG A2 turns those same low frequency sounds into an event. Here's a nice test: https://open.qobuz.com/track/20554871 Even with the subs off, OG A2 delivers such a compelling low end presentation that I'm... out of words.

Here's my conclusion: These DACs are two of my favorite things. I really love MiB, and I'm super glad that I have a Yggy in a + chassis for future upgradability. But I really think that the AD5791BRUZ DAC-based Yggdrasil is the winner in this comparo. The fact that it's almost unobtanium at this point in time is something that should not be lost on you, dear reader:

PSA: If you ever wanted a Yggy, I implore you to grab one of the last remaining GS2s. Just do it, before they are gone. Get the Unison USB card if you have an extra $100. Best part, beside the sound - you'll have the OG card, and you'll have the + casework, so that you can swap in any other current or future DAC variation when the card becomes available. Oh, and that A2 upgrade, too. <G>

May 6, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #150,762 of 152,338
IMG_7878.jpeg

One more splitter to build then @Orange5o will have all interconnects for the back of his mini stack. This was my third attempt to get the lengths just right.😁 Without the proper flex the cabinets can tilt. It made more sense to do this while the rack and gear were in my possession.
What RCA connectors are you using with that Mogami cable?

May 6, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #150,763 of 152,338
A bit early, but I may be away from the computer tonight as I'm not feeling tip-top today. I may have over Cinco de Mayo'ed yesterday. :D

JazzReco-9.jpg

Get better soon man, listening to your recommendation now!

1715035511571.png

May 6, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #150,764 of 152,338
What RCA connectors are you using with that Mogami cable?
Pointy ones lol. Hmm if I work at it I can think of the company I bought them from maybe Allied Electronics? They are not a major brand but I love the spring and knurling on the body itself. The only time I ever used them was to make some cables for a Schiit tube shootout cause I thought they were spiffy. Allied is now RS, I found them again...

RS PRO
Red Cable Mount RCA Plug Brass Contacts Aluminum Housing Solder Termination

Mfr. Part #: 106953
RS Stk #: 70635994

May 6, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #150,765 of 152,338
Pointy ones lol. Hmm if I work at it I can think of the company I bought them from maybe Allied Electronics? They are not a major brand but I love the spring and knurling on the body itself. The only time I ever used them was to make some cables for a Schiit tube shootout cause I thought they were spiffy. Allied is now RS, I found them again...

RS PRO
Red Cable Mount RCA Plug Brass Contacts Aluminum Housing Solder Termination
Mfr. Part #: 106953
RS Stk #: 70635994
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back