RAAL-requisite: The Official VM-1a Discussion Thread
Apr 29, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 75
Can you describe the difference between the VM1a plus SR1a versus CA-1a??

I currently have the SR1a with the HSA-1b and find it still to lack the rich fullness of my Susvara and no sub base. Would it make sense to sell the HSA-1B and get the VM1a?? Would selling the SR1a and buying the CA-1a be a better option??

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #32 of 75
Is the VM-1a even still available? It seems Raal is stopping production/handing it over to another company? Which is totally cool, I'm just wondering about immediate availability. I'm sure I'm missing an announcement post somewhere.

I've always wanted to try the the Sr1a on the VM-1a at some point, but I think there's a bit of urgency if its availability is up in there air.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #35 of 75
I think the VM makes a bigger difference with the sr1a than the CA but it is magic with both of them...more body and heft, better bass....magic vocals and overall a less strident presentation

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 75
If you had to keep just one headphone with the VM, which one would it be SR1a or CA1a??
I have both and go back and forth between the 2...when I listen to led zep I tend to go for the CA...if I listen to jazz or sinatra etc I tend to go for the sr1a...anything with space sounds remarkable on the sr1a...truthfully both are so good I couldnt say one or the other are better

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #37 of 75
So CA is better for guitar stuff? How about soundstage? How smaller is compared to SR?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #38 of 75
I didnt say it was better for guitar...it has due to its more traditional circumaural shape more sub bass which tends to lend itself to bass heavy rock ..that said the sr1a with the VM-1a and the filters does a darn good job with all genres....truthfully I couldnt decide which to give up so I will keep both lol..the sr1a has a larger soundstage and different presentation especially depending on how you wear them...the stage is more out in front of you...that said the CA is very spacious as well

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #39 of 75
Got room for one more? Just joined the VM-1a family (and added the CA-1a as well; they join my SR-1a, HSA-1b & TI-1a). Initial impressions after half an hour listening to both is: WOW. Will follow up with more later.

Couple quick questions:

1) On the VM-1a, it's OK to drive the SR-1a on the CA-1a setting, using the Mitch SR-1b filter set (i.e., the filter set designed to provide the compensation the barrels would otherwise provide), right? I recall a post suggesting as much, but was having trouble locating it. Won't harm either the amp or headphones, correct?

2) The VM-1a is hot. Literally. I don't think it's abnormal, but it's definitely the hottest piece of kit I have. It won't take long to damage the bamboo shelf above it. This is a touch off-topic, but can anyone suggest some sort of insulation material I can affix to the bottom of the shelf above the VM-1a to protect that shelf from the heat?

Thanks!

PXL_20230721_025144490.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #40 of 75
Got room for one more? Just joined the VM-1a family (and added the CA-1a as well; they join my SR-1a, HSA-1b & TI-1a). Initial impressions after half an hour listening to both is: WOW. Will follow up with more later.

Couple quick questions:

1) On the VM-1a, it's OK to drive the SR-1a on the CA-1a setting, using the Mitch SR-1b filter set (i.e., the filter set designed to provide the compensation the barrels would otherwise provide), right? I recall a post suggesting as much, but was having trouble locating it. Won't harm either the amp or headphones, correct?

2) The VM-1a is hot. Literally. I don't think it's abnormal, but it's definitely the hottest piece of kit I have. It won't take long to damage the bamboo shelf above it. This is a touch off-topic, but can anyone suggest some sort of insulation material I can affix to the bottom of the shelf above the VM-1a to protect that shelf from the heat?

Thanks!

Congratulations on your new addition. The only thing I'd like to mention regarding the heat, is that you REALLY need to have a lot more space above that VM-1 where the heat can freely dissipate up and away from the amp. If there is no other option, try a fan setup to help with the ventilation.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 75
Couple quick questions:

Congratulations! It is one lovely amplifier.

It’s ok to run the SR1a in the CR1a mode. At least I have for a long time when experimenting with the five variations of Mitch’s filters I have accumulated. At the moment I prefer the SR1a mode on the VM1a and Mitch’s version 2 filter without bass bumped up.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #42 of 75

Couple quick questions:

Thanks!

Nice and very interesting rack!

congrats on the vm1a. best pairing with the Raal headphones. yep, for the SR1 it is suggested to have the amp on CA setting when using mitch filters, as the filters include the compensation for open baffle already.

If you like the amp as it is, wait until u pop on a KR VT231 and some nice mullard EL34 tubes.. heh!

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #43 of 75
Nice and very interesting rack!

congrats on the vm1a. best pairing with the Raal headphones. yep, for the SR1 it is suggested to have the amp on CA setting when using mitch filters, as the filters include the compensation for open baffle already.

If you like the amp as it is, wait until u pop on a KR VT231 and some nice mullard EL34 tubes.. heh!
Thanks! Yeah, I built the rack to try to make it just a bit more difficult for the cleaning staff to walk off with my gear if they felt so inclined (my setup lives at my office).

The stock EL34s that came with mine are mullard, but I bet you had in mind a particular vintage. Would love your suggestions!

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #44 of 75
Thanks! Yeah, I built the rack to try to make it just a bit more difficult for the cleaning staff to walk off with my gear if they felt so inclined (my setup lives at my office).

The stock EL34s that came with mine are mullard, but I bet you had in mind a particular vintage. Would love your suggestions!

I'm using Mullard EL34 FX4 tubes but I'm not sure which year. got them off a local seller. I find them a nice improvement over the stock tubes. I got my KR VT231 from Dale @ vacuumtubes.net I think he has a few left.

Jul 26, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #45 of 75

Couple quick questions:

Thanks!

This is at work? Wow, how do you get any work done? Hope you have some security cameras setup.

How is the temp in the lower racks? If you could get 2" more space by lowering those it might be enough, if no, then a whisper fan on the side of the amp away fro where you listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back