Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 19, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #40,636 of 40,684
This is decidedly on the lower priced end of the cable spectrum, but I’ve been really enjoying the nicehk aceorpheus with my raven lev2s. Got it on one a sale on AliExpress for around $120. 8N OCC copper cable that I find a noticeable improvement in both clarity and dynamism and also in comfort over the stock cable even though it is a thicker heftier cable. I have a hard time justifying to myself spending more than ~$300 on a cable (just my personal positioning…not making any judgement on higher end cables or those who love or lust after them), so it has been nice to find a relatively inexpensive cable that both looks and feels pretty premium and also sounds great with the ravens to my ears.

The ravens with the aceorpheous and my ibasso dc-elite out of my iPhone is a really top tier portable setup. The sound out of the dc elite with ravens is way better than it has any business being…I find myself reaching for my dx300 less and less these days. The dx300 does sound a bit better, but you really need it be sitting in a quiet room to notice the difference.
I tried the dc elite yesterday and loved the sound. I used it out of the Hiby R8II. The only issue I had was the volume. I felt one notch was too low and the next one up was just a little too loud. Shame bc it sounded great. I tried it out of my friends Sony ZM2 and felt the volume control was a bit better, so maybe out if my 1AM2 it would be better.

May 19, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #40,637 of 40,684
I tried the dc elite yesterday and loved the sound. I used it out of the Hiby R8II. The only issue I had was the volume. I felt one notch was too low and the next one up was just a little too loud. Shame bc it sounded great. I tried it out of my friends Sony ZM2 and felt the volume control was a bit better, so maybe out if my 1AM2 it would be better.
Yeah, the volume system on the dc-elite is a bit weird. One thing to be aware of is that while each click of the volume knob is a 3db jump, which is a pretty big difference one click to the next, you can then press the button on the side which provides three different volume levels in between steps on the volume knob. So if you go up one on the knob and it is too much of a jump, you can then press the side button to reduce the volume back down to only one decibel above the previous volume knob level, press again for an additional one decibel increase, and press a third time to return to the original 3 decibels above the previous step on the volume knob. It’s kind of clunky, but works. They say they use this stepped attenuator for the volume know because apparently it reduces channel imbalances.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #40,638 of 40,684
Yeah, the volume system on the dc-elite is a bit weird. One thing to be aware of is that while each click of the volume knob is a 3db jump, which is a pretty big difference one click to the next, you can then press the button on the side which provides three different volume levels in between steps on the volume know. So if you go up one on the knob and it is too much of a jump, you can then press the side button to reduce the volume back down to only one decibel above the previous volume knob level, press again for an additional one decibel increase, and press a third time to return to the original 3 decibels above the previous step on the volume knob. It’s kind of clunky, but works. They say they use this stepped attenuator for the volume know because apparently it reduces channel imbalances.
Didn’t know that thanks!

May 19, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #40,639 of 40,684
Yeah, the volume system on the dc-elite is a bit weird. One thing to be aware of is that while each click of the volume knob is a 3db jump, which is a pretty big difference one click to the next, you can then press the button on the side which provides three different volume levels in between steps on the volume knob. So if you go up one on the knob and it is too much of a jump, you can then press the side button to reduce the volume back down to only one decibel above the previous volume knob level, press again for an additional one decibel increase, and press a third time to return to the original 3 decibels above the previous step on the volume knob. It’s kind of clunky, but works. They say they use this stepped attenuator for the volume know because apparently it reduces channel imbalances.
Just ordered one. Will post my thoughts out of the Hiby R8II and the Raven when I get it.

May 20, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #40,640 of 40,684
I also ordered one. I thought SR35 would be my mobile endgame since the mojo 2 is too cumbersome to use while out and about but the elite might be the next step while being light enough to hang from the pocket :)

May 20, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #40,641 of 40,684
I also ordered one. I thought SR35 would be my mobile endgame since the mojo 2 is too cumbersome to use while out and about but the elite might be the next step while being light enough to hang from the pocket :)
Have you tried those combo together?
Excellent synergy as one. Don't mind the weight.
Try with my Odin daily.
Terrific combo 👌 👏 👍 😍 🙌 😀

May 20, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #40,642 of 40,684
Have you tried those combo together?
Excellent synergy as one. Don't mind the weight.
Try with my Odin daily.
Terrific combo 👌 👏 👍 😍 🙌 😀
The raven and elite combo?

May 20, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #40,644 of 40,684
Guys, I'm telling you: CP145 are not good for Raven, way too laidback and not enough mids for me personally.

AET07 are still the absolute best.
You’re gonna make me buy more eartips? Cmon lol. At least these are fairly inexpensive.

May 20, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #40,646 of 40,684
Guys, I'm telling you: CP145 are not good for Raven, way too laidback and not enough mids for me personally.

I have tried different eartips, some work better than others and many are better than the originals... in order my favorites Velvet Divinus, S&S Dunu, Pentacon Coreir and Spinfit W1, the first 2 give me more definition in the bass and midrange thickness with more depth and in general a more evident balance, the last 2 instead have more clarity and slightly better detail in the highs but the bass loses a little in definition and is overall less balanced..

May 21, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #40,647 of 40,684

Hmmm... interesting, come to think of it I haven't tried AET07 with Raven yet, I might have it in my eartips box. Will give it a run tonite, thanks Man.

May 21, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #40,648 of 40,684
You’re gonna make me buy more eartips? Cmon lol. At least these are fairly inexpensive.
AET07 should be part of the standard equipment. Above all, they cost surprisingly little. But they are actually quite well known: Noble, Aroma and others have them in stock.

I have tried different eartips, some work better than others and many are better than the originals... in order my favorites Velvet Divinus, S&S Dunu, Pentacon Coreir and Spinfit W1, the first 2 give me more definition in the bass and midrange thickness with more depth and in general a more evident balance, the last 2 instead have more clarity and slightly better detail in the highs but the bass loses a little in definition and is overall less balanced..
I have the same problem with the W1 as with the CP145, which I find better: too laidback. In my opinion, Raven needs tips that are not so long. That's why I couldn't do anything with the Type-E. The bass also wakes up with shorter tips, not only mids. In fact, I had been wondering lately why I didn't like Raven as much as I used to. The answer: change from CP145, which I got recently, to AET07.

Hmmm... interesting, come to think of it I haven't tried AET07 with Raven yet, I might have it in my eartips box. Will give it a run tonite, thanks Man.
I'm curious, let us know what you think.

May 21, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #40,649 of 40,684
AET07 should be part of the standard equipment. Above all, they cost surprisingly little. But they are actually quite well known: Noble, Aroma and others have them in stock.

I have the same problem with the W1 as with the CP145, which I find better: too laidback. In my opinion, Raven needs tips that are not so long. That's why I couldn't do anything with the Type-E. The bass also wakes up with shorter tips, not only mids. In fact, I had been wondering lately why I didn't like Raven as much as I used to. The answer: change from CP145, which I got recently, to AET07.

I'm curious, let us know what you think.
In fact Spinfit w1 and corier give a somewhat relaxed sound but have the advantage of a little more brilliance and detail in the highs... I have more fun with Dunu and especially with Velvet Divinus which I highly recommend for now, the best ever... I'll see about getting the AET07s...

May 21, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #40,650 of 40,684
In fact Spinfit w1 and corier give a somewhat relaxed sound but have the advantage of a little more brilliance and detail in the highs... I have more fun with Dunu and especially with Velvet Divinus which I highly recommend for now, the best ever... I'll see about getting the AET07s...
Well, that's exactly what I don't like about it: relaxed sound. The bass range loses rumble and texture, the mids are more distant, and right: logically you have more clarity on top and more stage. But for me, all this doesn't support Raven's greatest strength: the bass (and otherwise dynamics and resolution).

Get the AET07, it's a worthwhile investment, especially when you consider how much they cost compared to other tips. I bought them on Aliexpress.

In my opinion, longer tips are very suitable if the sound is too far in front, as is the case with the VE10, for example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back