CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 6, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,416 of 2,467
FMC sounds like the ferrets of mscaler, i refuse that rabbit hole
Not a bad place to draw the line. I embarked back when there weren't that many options for reducing the harm a network can introduce. That's not the case today, but I still don't have any plans to deviate from what I've done. I'm happy with the results.

May 6, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #2,417 of 2,467
Not a bad place to draw the line. I embarked back when there weren't that many options for reducing the harm a network can introduce. That's not the case today, but I still don't have any plans to deviate from what I've done. I'm happy with the results.
Just to close this off. I received my inexpensive FMCs and fibre, put them between my router and switch, connected them to a Shanti LPS and to my ear there is an improvement in the soundstage - both wider and deeper.

May 7, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #2,418 of 2,467
Just to close this off. I received my inexpensive FMCs and fibre, put them between my router and switch, connected them to a Shanti LPS and to my ear there is an improvement in the soundstage - both wider and deeper.
I often use the track Spiral Stairs by Mammal Hands when comparing such things as network changes. This is quite useful for identifying differences. It is what I used when I finally decided that all the changes audible from using fiber and FMCs were making the background instruments on that track unnaturally prominent and distracting from the lovely organic saxophone which is the main instrument (and which was also less organic sounding when using fiber in the network whether just before, after or instead of the final switch).

In my experience an apparent improvement in soundstage is often down to increased noise artefact induced distortion.

The FMCs I tried cost anywhere between £20 each and several thousand pounds for slickly presented audiophile versions (most of the cost will have been the solid billet machined cases!) but to my ears the sound quality was still worse with them no matter what price they cost.

May 7, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #2,419 of 2,467
I often use the track Spiral Stairs by Mammal Hands when comparing such things as network changes. This is quite useful for identifying differences. It is what I used when I finally decided that all the changes audible from using fiber and FMCs were making the background instruments on that track unnaturally prominent and distracting from the lovely organic saxophone which is the main instrument (and which was also less organic sounding when using fiber in the network whether just before, after or instead of the final switch).

In my experience an apparent improvement in soundstage is often down to increased noise artefact induced distortion.

The FMCs I tried cost anywhere between £20 each and several thousand pounds for slickly presented audiophile versions (most of the cost will have been the solid billet machined cases!) but to my ears the sound quality was still worse with them no matter what price they cost.
I will give that track a listen. I wonder if the quality of the router plays a part here. My router was free, given to me by the internet provider and no doubt noisy. Adding FMCs maybe reduces that noise but also degrades the sound as you explain. In my case the positives outweigh the negatives but not so in your case?

May 7, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #2,420 of 2,467
I will give that track a listen. I wonder if the quality of the router plays a part here. My router was free, given to me by the internet provider and no doubt noisy. Adding FMCs maybe reduces that noise but also degrades the sound as you explain. In my case the positives outweigh the negatives but not so in your case?
My router is one that communicates with the outside world by way of 4G. It was also free as part of the internet providers package.

I personally think that FMCs increase the noise, possibly because of their conversion circuits. Certainly their effect on sound quality has all the signs of increased noise.

Have a listen to that track with and without FMCs.

May 8, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #2,421 of 2,467
Have a listen to that track with and without FMCs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did listen to that track and others with and without FMCs and there is something impressive about the sound with FMCs in particularly for electronic music but I agree when real instruments are being played it sounds more natural without the FMSs in the chain.

May 8, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,422 of 2,467
I agree when real instruments are being played it sounds more natural without the FMSs in the chain.
I harm that I observed most with FMCs and SFPs was that they caused the treble to get hot so that it was more difficult to enjoy the music. It was quite surprising to be able to hear that even the FMC or SFP used upstream could cause that harm to be easily heard. I no longer notice that harm being done despite continuing to have a span of fiber. It’s actually been astonishing how free of harm my fiber span seems to be give the reports here and on other forums.

May 9, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #2,423 of 2,467
A couple of weeks away from getting an Antipodes K21, with the latest additions.
Very much looking forward to it.

May 9, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #2,424 of 2,467
Congrats. I've just receieved shipping notification that my K50 is in the way back from HQ, looking forward to hearing what G4 brings!

May 9, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #2,425 of 2,467
Now looking for the exact model of Samsung PM983 drive required.

Edit:
PM893

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2,426 of 2,467
You mean 893? Like this? MZ7L31T9HBLT-00A07

May 9, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #2,427 of 2,467
May 9, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #2,428 of 2,467
That's the recommended model (2tb code above, obviously different for 4tb etc). Think there's a post on the antipodes forum about it also.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #2,429 of 2,467
That's the recommended model (2tb code above, obviously different for 4tb etc). Think there's a post on the antipodes forum about it also.
I after either the 1.9tb or 3.8tb

May 9, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #2,430 of 2,467
I'm unsure which one of these would suit the K21?

PM893 3.84T SATA MZ7L33T8HBLT-00B7C

PM893 2.5 3.84T SATA MZ7L33T8HBLT-00A07

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back