Audio-GD Master 9
May 17, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,611 of 2,626
Yip. There are number of internal SMPS regulators, it makes little difference. But Macbooks have very noisy USB with PD and Thunderbolt features. It can be reduced by self-powered USB 2.0 (not 3.x) hub. If DAC is the only device attached to a hub, it can be the cheapest one.

Also use USB "2.0 High-Speed" cable, not 3.0 cables. Extra unused wires bring more noise from the 3.0 root hub.
I've tried things like the Uptone regen which is supposed to one of the best but I don't think I really get much of a benefit out of it.

May 17, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,612 of 2,626
Also use USB "2.0 High-Speed" cable, not 3.0 cables.
Thanks, I don't need it.
The cassette deck requires no line power for the digit source, expensive silver cables, external clocks or USB converters.
It connects to the Master 9 with $2 RCA wires and plays fantastic.
But to some, it could really help.

P.S
For example, I did not hear any benefit from the Teddy Pardo external linear power supply with Lynx Hilo.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,613 of 2,626
Thanks, I don't need it.
The cassette deck requires no line power for the digit source, expensive silver cables, external clocks or USB converters.
Fair enough, no Macbook, no USB connection, but you took a part in conversation about those, not realy related to your cassete deck.

May 17, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #2,614 of 2,626
but you took a part in conversation about those
Based on my experience with Lynx Hilo, I expressed my doubts about the feasibility of switching the source to line power, as well as my hope that Kingwa has implemented quality noise filtering over USB connection in their top-end DACs.

May 18, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #2,615 of 2,626
I have not heard about the positive results of converting the M1 to linear power.
The total load on the processor when using Audirvana does not exceed 2%, I think that Kingwa installed good filters at the USB input in his top DACs.
Show me one example. If you really serious about what you are saying, you have not heard about a search engine either.

You don´t know what you are missing out on. Audirvana might use 2% even 0%. This means absolutely nothing. There are tons of other services we can talk about that effect the sound but services are NOT the issue here. You are comparing Power and Services - Really? - ..it is too completely different discussions. If you really want to go deep on this read about storage solution (encapsulation) and network instead, this is the first true "source"- where software and files are stored - everything else is just "playback". At core level operating systems today perform superb enough, even with bloatware. Bloatware is bloatware if you are not using them...EDIT: just remove them if possible. Again not the main issue

Do not get Operating System in the way. Windows, Linux or Apple. Power supply is important. Those who can not benefit from a Teradak LPSU on the Mac Mini has not come far enough to justify there journey for it. Just my opinion. This is not an easy journey without training and developing the hearing skills. Most importantly the approach of listening, that is next level for me.

Everything is influenced by power. Even fibreoptics.

Read and understand this and you won’t look at digital data as the what you are use to. POWER!

https://www.tutorchase.com/answers/igcse/physics/how-do-digital-signals-transmit-information#:~:text=This is done by sending,back into the original data.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #2,616 of 2,626
I have not heard other Audio-gd headamps than my HE-9 LE. I read a lot of people calling the sound of Audio-gd soft. But an amp only amplifies what the DAC passes to it.

Not trying to get philosophical here, but maybe your DACs are soft? - The reason why I like the R1NOS for headphones. Perfectly soft/smooth!

R8H2 is another performance level - Not soft.

A Cirrus Logic sounds soft on my HE9 LE
A ESS sounds more edgy on my HE9 LE....

---

EDIT: Of course there are some sweet analog velvety to it, but not enough to go on say the HE9 LE is soft.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #2,617 of 2,626
Not trying to get philosophical here, but maybe your DACs are soft? - The reason why I like the R1NOS for headphones. Perfectly soft/smooth!
We are going off-topic if following up on the NOS issue.

A key point was made in this thread that the amp tape emulator option is not the same as from a real tape recorder and I agree.

However I need to point out that in this case a source is CD library - already digital! Converted to analogue in a tape recorder using the internal Delta-Sigma DAC, then added a relatively low frequency pilot signal during recording and a noise during playback. Tape noise play a role for the overall satisfaction, including frequency modulation of the transport twice (during recording and playback). Such small amount of jitter and second harmonic distortion can be rewarding!
:)

After all these manipulation to the original digital source we can say:
The Master truly shines, but not with digital sources.
:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,618 of 2,626
you have not heard about a search engine either.
Those who can not benefit from a Teradak LPSU on the Mac Mini has not come far enough to justify there journey for it. Just my opinion.
I know how to use a search engine.
People here were doing Mac Mini tweaks, no less than in other parts of the world.
Here is the opinion of the group that compared the old Mac Mini with LPSU and the new M1.

“And it’s important that the architecture on the M1 fits very well, we compared the deeply tweaked old one, with linear power supply and other additives - but everyone who participated liked the stock junior M1 better.”
Audirvana might use 2% even 0%. This means absolutely nothing. There are tons of other services we can talk about that effect the sound but services are NOT the issue here.
2% total CPU usage by system including Audirvana.

Bloatware is bloatware if you are not using them...EDIT: just remove them if possible.
I see no point in deleting system programs that do not consume resources.
I don't have any others installed.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #2,619 of 2,626
Yeah, that's kinda what I've gathered from reading. I'm not worried about power/pre-amp for speakers, just getting enough current/voltage for Tungsten's mainly.
The only sane thing I'd do with Tungstens is connect them to an actual speaker amp. I've run headphones out of the Master 10, but with the volume set at 35 and using a Chord TT2/MScaler or the R27HE in pre-amp mode as a volume control. That works very well with some headphones, especially the Susvaras.
Look at the ACSS input on HE-9 LE it is not at the same zone. So maybe thats the reason I hear the difference and you don´t
There are two ways the ACSS and XLR outputs are set up in Audio-gd gear:
1. The XLR/RCA outputs use an additional voltage gain stage. The ACSS output bypasses the voltage gain stage.
2. The XLR/RCA outputs are connected to the ACSS outputs directly via resistors that switch current to voltage mode.
But Macbooks have very noisy USB with PD and Thunderbolt features.
Without testing, the easiest way to determine if they generate significant noise on the output is to disconnect them from a power source. With the ground from the charger disconnected, noise can't travel through the ground plane. Now I think of it, I'll try this with my M2 MBP as I need to test a DAP for this anyway.
I read a lot of people calling the sound of Audio-gd soft.
People are used to hearing the effects of noise, and the artificial fake hard/bright detail it creates. When you listen with a system which has noise from the power filtered out, it sounds warm or dark.

May 19, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #2,620 of 2,626
The only sane thing I'd do with Tungstens is connect them to an actual speaker amp. I've run headphones out of the Master 10, but with the volume set at 35 and using a Chord TT2/MScaler or the R27HE in pre-amp mode as a volume control. That works very well with some headphones, especially the Susvaras.

Do you use an adapter cable for that, like a dual 3-pin to 4-pin female? Or is there a safer/better option? Don't have any experience using a speaker amp for HPs, but people do keep recommending them for the Tungsten's. Master 10 seems like a good option, then.

May 19, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #2,621 of 2,626
Do you use an adapter cable for that, like a dual 3-pin to 4-pin female? Or is there a safer/better option? Don't have any experience using a speaker amp for HPs, but people do keep recommending them for the Tungsten's. Master 10 seems like a good option, then.
I have a cable that was originally for connecting the Studio Six to speakers. I replaced the 6.3mm plug with a 4-pin XLR female plug, and use the cable with the Master 10.

May 19, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #2,622 of 2,626
Without testing, the easiest way to determine if they generate significant noise on the output is to disconnect them from a power source. With the ground from the charger disconnected, noise can't travel through the ground plane. Now I think of it, I'll try this with my M2 MB
It is easy to test, I am afraid it will not have any effect. A noise energy is generated inside of MB. Unplugging power supply removes a ground loop, but ground plane becomes floating, so noise converts to a different form of energy. MB ground plane becomes an antenna when cable is connected to a DAC's ground potential.

There are number of techniques, none of them eradicate problem. But when used together they are effective.

The first step should be isolator. Optimal location is close to the USB host. It prevents a cable shield to act as antennae. But USB isolators were giving compatibility problems, the most successful was Intona, but at a cost close to DI-24.

With no isolator, there is a simple method of redirecting ground loop to a different power supply. Let this energy dissipate somewhere else. Location is important: close to the USB host. A self powered USB 2.0 (not 3.x) hub is ideal for this purpose. It also removes wires (used only for 3.x transmission) from the connection. Commercial equivalent is ifi Defender.

If charger is not plugged to a laptop, it will have little effect. Ifi has a different product for this scenario which include common mode filters. The best use is on far-end (DAC) side of a cable. There should be also a ferrite choke attached to this side. Ferrite has a facility to dissipate HF energy (convert to a heat).

And of course another isolator in a device (DDC/DAC) is essential. My R2R-11 has no such protection, it didn't sound good without taking above measures. But now it sounds excellent, even better after replacing oscilators with ultra-low noise version... Much better! Ask @FredA, he did the same.

Use only USB 2.0 high speed cables. If laptop has only Type C ports, use a dongle convering to Type A, not a special cable (type C to A). Such cables are available, but can cause damage to the equipment due to missinterpretation of power delivery feature which is standard on MACs.

Check this forum for new generation of USB high-speed isolators in the Douk Audio U2Pro thread.

May 19, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,623 of 2,626
Well something isn't right then because a good digital source shines.
The inbuilt USB input on Audio-Gd DACS is very good but the DI24HE feeding a higher end Audio-Gd DAC (particularly by I2S) is better and the DI24HE feeding a higher end Audio-Gd DAC (particularly by I2S) with a good external clock is better again.

You stop where your comfortable

May 20, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #2,624 of 2,626
I have a cable that was originally for connecting the Studio Six to speakers. I replaced the 6.3mm plug with a 4-pin XLR female plug, and use the cable with the Master 10.

Something like this (https://fogcityaudio.com/products/adaptor-cable-speaker-banana-plugs-to-female-4-pin-xlr), yeah? I unfortunately won't have a pre-amp for volume control, but don't swap things around too often. So hopefully the remote or up/down volume buttons shouldn't prove too annoying if I just leave it at the same volume. This also probably rules out the option of the Master-3A which doesn't seem to have volume control.

The other option would be to get the Master 9P, but most seem to recommend running a class A (or class A bias) speaker amp to get everything out of it, especially the bass presentation I'm looking for. So that pretty much leaves me with the Master-10 MK2, as per your recommendation.

Thanks for your help, @Currawong. Looks like I have a bit more saving to do.

May 27, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #2,625 of 2,626
[deleted: \\nevermind\waste of my time]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back