Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
May 26, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,066 of 1,069
With that said, despite how much I like the v550 (my favourite solid state amp so far), I think the gain switch in the back, not easily accessible area especially on a rack, in the product targeted at consumers with multiple headphones, is the greatest design mistake.

May 26, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,067 of 1,069
About the dip switches. I tried various setting but to my ears and I hear little to no different sound signature with the gain switches.
I have different Vio amps, not V550 (have a V281 & V281 Reissue). I adjust gain strictly to knock down the incoming gain in my system & give me more usable rotation on the volume pot, not to affect sound.

If there's a sound difference between different gain settings (I mean, once the resulting volumes are adjusted), I can't hear it.

May 26, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #1,068 of 1,069
I have different Vio amps, not V550 (have a V281 & V281 Reissue). I adjust gain strictly to knock down the incoming gain in my system & give me more usable rotation on the volume pot, not to affect sound.

If there's a sound difference between different gain settings (I mean, once the resulting volumes are adjusted), I can't hear it.
Not sure if you mentioned this already, but can you hear any differences between the 281 and the reissue?

May 27, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #1,069 of 1,069
V550 vs Holo Bliss
I've searched on both thread and both sides have good points.
Does anyone still own both amps and have them together for more than 6months? Which do you prefer? is your answer dependent on song genre, or the rest of the signal chain, or the amp's technicalities?
Anyone's input would be appreciated, thanks
Cross posting from the Bliss thread since this is relevant here too:

I have owned both for maybe eight or nine months now. They are both fantastic amps but are also quite different. It is hard to say one is better than the other. For me it comes down more toward headphone pairings. I agree with some of the observations someone else made a few posts back:
  • Both amps need a legit DAC to deliver their full potential. I have found the flexibility of the Wandla to be a super pairing with both.
  • The v550 is the most balanced, reference-sounding solid state amp I have heard
  • The Bliss has a slightly thicker sound, the bass is more emphatic but not quite as tight as the V550
  • The v550 has an airier sound with incredible extension- this without a sharp or elevated sound in the treble area- a real feat for a highly resolving ss amp
  • The Bliss has a more holographic sound- it has the most tubey sound from a solid state amp I have heard
  • The V550 is not flat sounding at all but despite the incredible extension up top the sound has a little less shape and depth compared to the Bliss
  • Both amps run warm but the Bliss gets pretty hot on the right side of the case
  • The V550 pro volume pot is the bees knees in feel and sound but it has been known to have some issues with cutouts at certain positions. I recently had my OG V550 Pro replaced with an updated (now with 4.4mm jack) version under warranty and it has been working great.
  • The V550 is insanely versatile with the dipswitches that give you almost unlimited gain control- it works with IEMs down low and at full blast drives the Modhouse Tungsten the best I have heard
  • There is definitely an ideal gain setting for every headphone on the V550 and it does impact the balance and sound of the headphone
  • With lower impedance headphones the impedance setting on the Bliss makes a big difference (both Tungsten and Caldera sound much better on low impedance- lo z) while the impedance isn't as noticeable with something like the Atrium (but is best on high impedance- hi z)
  • In general the Bliss is a bit smoother and more romantic sounding while the V550 is more neutral with top tier dynamic range

Here are my preferred headphone pairings:

Caldera- they actually sound great on both amps. They are quite a resolving headphone though and find I tend to prefer the extra oomph down low and the slightly smoother treble from the Bliss.
Auteur- They are thick and punchy sounding headphones I generally don't like them as much out of the Bliss. They sound fantastic out of the V550 which tightens up the bass and improves the detail retrieval.
Utopia OG- With the Wandla they sounded a bit too sharp and resolving out of the V550 on some recordings. I generally preferred them out of the Bliss.
Atrium- These sound better out of the Bliss hands down. These really love tube amps and they just sound so organic natural and three dimensional out of the Bliss. I highly recommend the Caldera perforated lambskin pads. The stock pads sound too bloated to me.
Tungsten- With the Wandla digital volume trim at -4 db the Bliss powers the Tungsten quite nicely. This softer smoother sound works well for rock and classic rock. But for almost everything else especially electronic music the V550 at full gain really drives the Tungsten to their full capability.

The two amps are quite different and actually quite complimentary. I find most headphones are a fantastic pairing with one or the other but not always both. More resolving headphones will pair best with the Bliss, while the thicker and heavier sounding headphones will work best on the V550. Having both amps coupled with the tweaks available in the Wandla I am able to find a pretty optimal pairing with every headphone I own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back